Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Practice makes permanent

Spent two more hours last night and the better part of the morning reading and working through 70-461 training kit book.

Reading the material makes sense and I'm able to read tsql when I see it. But writing it is a bit of a challenge now. This is partially why I was excited about Russian website (maybe I'll have to give it a second chance) because I would be able work through exercises and and type on the keyboard vs just reading and spending less time working out problems. 

I think I'll make up my own practice questions today for the chapters so far and work on them tonight.

After a complete training course online and now going through the book I conceptually understand things.  One of the things that I like the most and that I get a kick of is learning something like this:

USE TSQL2012
GO
SELECT empid, firstname, lastname, MONTH(month, birthdate) AS birthmonth
FROM hr.employees
ORDER BY birthmonth

This is cool because the select statement gets processed before the order by clause, there for order by is able to sort by an alias... cool stuff.

Reading through the sqlservercentral (SSC from now on) forums I agree that the best practice that I'm going to get is reading real life situations, and trying to problem solve... another reason why SSC is a great resources.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment