Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Continuing XML

I intended on reading chapter 8 last night, but I flipped to the end of chapter 7 first where my book mark was placed.  I then began going through some of the practice within chapter 7, and felt like I still needed to understand XML clearer.  Not just elements/attributes, but the use of xquery, xpath, navigation of an xml documents including parent/child nodes etc.  So my goal today is to drill deeper into these ideas and be able to write out exactly what these pieces of XML are and include some examples in my own words.  When I can describe things in my own words I feel like I'm grasping the concept more firmly.

For the record I did read some of chapter 8 as well which is about creating objects in the RDBMS such as tables, and views.  Chapter 8 is also going to cover adding constraints (and I think checks) to a table too.  Again, I find it interesting in the order that the book covers these things as creating tables is a fairly rudimentary piece of TSQL, and it seems like you should know that before you begin to create CTE's.  It will be fun to start combining some of the lessons that I've learned so far and playing around with Selecting data into another table or creating a view.  Cool stuff!

So I have my goals today:
-Be able to define xquery, what does it do?
-Define xpath and what it does
-Describe navigation through an XML document


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment